All Orbx airports have been explicitly designed by our developers to sit on top of an Orbx region. That has been part of the Orbx ecosystem since 2008 when YMML Melbourne International was our first airport released, explicitly designed to sit on top of FTX AU BLUE (now FTX Australia).
Orbx has only ever released airports for its regions and never for default simulator terrain. There are a few exceptions such as LOWI Innsbruck but this came with its own mini-region of 2,500km sq of photoreal coverage.
Orbx recommends that to experience its airports as per the promotional screenshots shown on each product page, that you also have the recommended region products installed.
If you choose not to install the recommended products, you may experience all or some of the following issues at airports:
- Lack of blending with the surrounding terrain
- Mismatched colour of ground textures
- No custom autogen buildings
- Impact on night lighting
- Trenches and holes in and surrounding the runways
- Terrain smoothing and correct elevations
- Traffic movements in and around the airport
- In some cases, severe plateaus may be seen